GOSPEL FOR ASIA

Friday, August 27, 2010

Having An Eternal Mindset In Today's Have It Now Society



For riches do not endure forever,
and a crown is not secure for all generations. Proverbs 27:24

Maintaining an eternal mindset on a daily basis is probably the most challenging task in my Christian walk. Not that it's difficult to think about eternity, the challenge is in constantly thinking about eternity in every decision I make. I think Jim Elliot said it best...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot loose."

What a statement!

I've heard it said that in one hundred years it's not going to matter what kind of house you had, what kind of car you drove, how expensive your clothes were or that you ate at the finest restaurants... Because you'll be DEAD!

Lets face it, the Christian walk is not about how God can bless us or comfort us or even provide for us. It's not about our experience. It's about our service. So many peaple are seeking God's glory in their own lives, what they fail to realize is that God doesn't share his glory with us until we're dead and thats not until we're on the other side of eternity. Here's a point to ponder, what did Lucifer seek when he rebelled against God? Wasn't it essentially God's glory?

I've been privilaged to have much, I've also been privilaged to have little. The more I journey in my Christian walk the more I see the hand of God move, especially in my need. Currently through a series of events my wife and I have lost essentially everything with the exception of the clothes on our backs. It's a very difficult position especially when you can't afford food for your children and you MUST rely on God's provision. I secretly vowed not to enter vocational ministry because of this fear. Now my fear is a reality and I have not vocationally served God. I'm learning to trust... It's a difficult proposition but you either trust voluntarily or God will place you in a position where you MUST trust Him. Lets face it, this life is not about making money, getting glory and then dying. The Christian mentality should be giving money, giving glory and then recieving life. Someone once said that...

"The world lives to die, but we die daily to live."

Life is a journey and like myself, you may be treading through the valley of the shadow of death. But fear not, God is with us. Each experience is a learning opportunity from the hand of God. It certainly doesn't seem like it, but believe it or not God is guiding you through your circumstances and the finished product will be outstanding.

See you on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment